Volcano Art Prize (VAP) is an annual digital art competition for environmental art organised by The LEAD Group – an environmental health charity [ABN 25 819 463 114 ] – in which winning entrants will be awarded with cash prizes or mugs printed with their own image by our sponsor Pictureproducts.
Entries can be chosen to illustrate Lead-Safe World POSTERS to be sold to raise money for lead-awareness, and to be donated to individuals and organizations who have raised lead-awareness during the current year of the competition.
You can also choose your own image to be printed as a poster, with its lead safety message at https://volcanoartprize.com/purchase-calendar
We are also accepting video submissions, and various literature forms such as poems, plays, short stories, and case studies. Please let your friends and family know of this good news. A screenshot of the video can be included for the poster if your video submission wins. The video or literary entry should capture the suggested environmental themes on how to be lead-safe and prevent lead exposure, how to buy non-leaded consumer products, and lead safety in general and other themes in the suggestion link.
The Volcano Art Prize has a number of suggested lead-safety themes based around how to be lead-safe and prevent lead exposure, despite lead-containing artists materials, widespread lead contamination of old buildings, and our environment generally.
All artists must enter digital files, images or videos which address a lead-safety theme, including a theme / message created by the artist (children can get help with this part of their submission). The lead-safety theme is part of your entry so it is recommended that before you create your own lead-safety theme, or start working on your entry, you should read the suggested themes carefully and view the “VAP Archives”.
If you are new to the issue of lead poisoning prevention and lead-safety, or want more ideas, you can also read The LEAD Group’s extensive website at www.lead.org.au or our new website at www.leadsafeworld.com Young artists and their teachers can “Like” our Volcano Art Prize FACEBOOK fan page, in order to download some very useful tips on creating an image for this competition. As soon as an entry which complies with the Conditions is uploaded to www.volcanoartprize.com/peopleschoice, it can be “Liked” by anyone wishing to vote for the People’s Choice award. Any one person can only “Like” an entry once, though you can “Like” more than one entry. The entry with the most “Likes” will win the People’s Choice cash prize.
The LEAD Group Lead-Safety Art/Photo/Film competition is now open for 2019! Entry deadline for Volcano Art Prize (VAP) www.volcanoartprize.com is coming soon. Entries for the competition must be uploaded before midnight of Monday 14th October 2019 at the end of that day in the entrant’s local time.
The People’s Choice Cash Prize winner is decided by Facebook Likes so please go to any People’s Choice entry that you like and click on Like to vote for it. Voting for the People’s Choice prize ends at midnight on Sunday, 20th October 2019.
Up to 30 digital images will be selected by the judge from entries, to receive Awards.
VAP Awards will be distributed during the World Health Organization (WHO) / United Nations Environment (UNE) International Lead Poisoning Prevention Week of Action which is the last full Sunday to Saturday week of October, that is 20th to 26th October 2019. Prize winning entries will be displayed on The LEAD Group’s websites: www.volcanoartprize.com; www.leadsafeworld.com; and www.lead.org.au
Prizes will be shared between the Judge Awarded cash prize winner, People’s Choice prize winner and 30 Pictureproducts mug winners. The judge is always welcome to consult with Elizabeth O’Brien, Lead Advisor of The LEAD Group, or any other member of The LEAD Group’s Technical Advisory Board, on whether the artwork accurately illustrates the lead-safety theme chosen by the artist.
- The Judge Awarded Winner will win a cash prize double the value of the Peoples Choice Winner.
- All entrants’ works will be accessioned into The LEAD Group Art Collection and will have their work archived at http://www.volcanoartprize.
- 30 winners decided by the Judge will be given the option to have their own entry, or another entrant’s entry, printed on a Pictureproducts mug – either white ceramic or white plastic – with the VAP logo.
- The Peoples Choice Winner will receive a cash prize.
- The prize is open to ANYONE anywhere in the WORLD.
- Entry to the art competition is FREE for children and for adults in non-OECD countries. Entrants over the age of 18 in OECD countries only pay AU$10 to enter. Entry is limited to ONE entry per child or non-OECD adult but entrants who pay AU$10 to enter, are free to enter as many times as they like.
- The digital image/video must be the ORIGINAL artwork of the entrant and created within the 12 MONTHS prior to the closing date of the competition.
- The single digital image must be between 1 MB and 3MB and in landscape orientation, not portrait orientation. That is, winning entries will be printed in colour on a landscape A4 page. The video must be less than 300 MB and be in either avi, mp4 or wmv format.
- Save the image onto your computer with a filename in the following format: <Surname, Forename, title of the work.file extension>. For example, the 2013 Calendar Cover Artwork has the filename: <Lennon, Tony, Elizabeth and the Volcano – Lead White.jpg>
- Include the filename when you upload your entry at www.volcanoartprize.com/submitentry
- A completed entry form including the lead-safety theme of the entry, must be uploaded at www.volcanoartprize.com/submitentry by midnight on the entry date each year, according to your local time zone.
- Once received, if your entry is considered to comply with these Conditions of Entry, it will be uploaded onto www.volcanoartprize.com/peopleschoice so web-users can “Like” it.
- Once uploaded on to www.volcanoartprize.com/peopleschoice, web-users can vote on an entry – once only – by clicking on its “Like” button.
- The judging will be done by the sole judge. The judge will select up to 30 finalists from all the entries to the competition. The judge will then select 13 winners from the finalists. The decision of the judge will be FINAL and no correspondence will be entered into in relation to the judge’s decision.
- All finalists and winners will be advised of the decision of the judge by email.
- All entries will be displayed at www.volcanoartprize.com/peopleschoice allowing votes for the People’s Choice Award.
- All entrants hereby consent to their work being reproduced / web-published by The LEAD Group for the launch, in the calendar/catalogue and on The LEAD Group’s websites and by the media in all related advertising and publicity (including online).
- The LEAD Group will not reproduce/web-publish images depicting illegal activity or any images which are deemed unsuitable by the judge or The LEAD Group.
CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRANTS TO SUBMIT THEIR ENTRIES FOR VAP 2019 – midnight of Monday 14th October
Voting for the People’s Choice prize opens at midnight on Monday 27th May 2019
END OF ONLINE VOTING FOR THE PEOPLES CHOICE AWARD DATES: Sunday 20th October 2019. Web-users can vote (once for each entry they “Like”) at www.volcanoartprize.com/peopleschoice
VAP Awards will be distributed during the World Health Organization (WHO) / United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) International Lead Poisoning Prevention Week of Action which is the last full Sunday to Saturday week of October each year
JUDGE’S AND PEOPLES CHOICE AWARDS ANNOUNCED: sometime during 20th to 26th October 2019.