Volcano Art Prize (VAP) is an annual digital image competition for environmental art organised by The LEAD Group – an environmental health charity [ABN 25 819 463 114 ] – in which 13 winning entries will be chosen to illustrate a Lead-Safe World CALENDAR (which also serves as an Art Prize Catalogue) to be sold to raise money for lead-awareness.
Mr Julian Wrigley, artist and art teacher at Moriah College, Sydney will be the sole judge of the 2013 competition and Julian will consult with Elizabeth O’Brien, President of The LEAD Group, on whether the artwork accurately illustrates the lead-safety theme chosen by the artist.
The Volcano Art Prize has a number of suggested lead-safety themes based around how to be lead-safe and prevent lead exposure, despite lead-containing artists materials, widespread lead contamination of old buildings, and our environment generally.
All artists must enter a digital image which addresses a lead-safety theme, though you are permitted to create your own lead-safety theme. The lead-safety theme is part of your entry so it is recommended that before creating your own lead-safety theme, or start working on your entry, you should read the suggested themes carefully and view “previous winners”. If you are new to the issue of lead poisoning prevention, or want more ideas, you can also read The LEAD Group’s extensive website at www.lead.org.au . Young artists and their teachers can “Like” our Volcano Art Prize FACEBOOK fan page, in order to download some very useful tips on creating an image for this competition.
As soon as an entry which complies with the Conditions is uploaded to www.volcanoartprize.com/peopleschoice, it can be “Liked” by anyone wishing to vote for the People’s Choice award. Any one person can only “Like” an entry once, though you can “Like” more than one entry.
In addition to the $100 cash prize for the People’s Choice Award, the entry with the most “Likes” will be printed on the Cover of the 2014 Lead-Safe World CALENDAR.
Entries for the competition must be uploaded by Monday 2rd September, 2013. Up to 36 digital images will be pre-selected by the judge from entries, and be displayed at a launch on Monday 21st October 2013 or a date around that time to be decided by whichever Minister hosts the event. Prizes to the value of $1300 will be shared between the 13 winners.
- The prize is open to ANYONE anywhere in the WORLD.
- Entry to the art competition is FREE for children and for adults in non-OECD countries. Entrants over the age of 18 in OECD countries only pay AU$10 to enter. Entry is limited to ONE entry per person.
- The Digital images must be the ORIGINAL artwork of the entrant and created within the 12 MONTHS prior to the closing date of the competition (September 30, 2013).
- The single digital image must be between 1 MB and 3MB and in landscape orientation, not portrait orientation. That is, winning entries will be printed in colour on a landscape A4 page.
- Save the image onto your computer with a filename in the following format: <Surname, Forename, title of the work.file extension>. For example, the 2013 Calendar Cover Artwork has the filename: <Lennon, Tony, Elizabeth and the Volcano – Lead White.jpg>
- Include the filename when you upload your entry at www.volcanoartprize.com/submitentry
- A completed entry form including the lead-safety theme of the entry, must be uploaded at www.volcanoartprize.com/submitentry by Monday September 30, 2013.
- Once received, if your entry is considered to comply with these Conditions of Entry, it will be uploaded onto www.volcanoartprize.com/peopleschoice so web-users can “Like” it.
- Once uploaded on to www.volcanoartprize.com/peopleschoice, web-users can vote on an entry – once only – by clicking on its “Like” button.
- The judging will be done by the above-mentioned sole judge. The judge will select up to 36 finalists from all the entries to the competition. The judge will then select 12 winners from the finalists. The decision of the judge will be FINAL and no correspondence will be entered into in relation to the judge’s decision.
- All finalists and winners will be advised of the decision of the judge by email.
- All entries will be displayed at www.volcanoartprize.com/peopleschoice until Tuesday 18 December 2012, allowing votes for the People’s Choice Award.
- All entrants hereby consent to their work being reproduced / web-published by The LEAD Group for the launch, in the calendar/catalogue and on The LEAD Group’s websites and by the media in all related advertising and publicity (including online).
- The LEAD Group will not reproduce / web-publish images depicting illegal activity or any images which are deemed unsuitable by the judge or The LEAD Group.
- The 13 winners will receive a prize of 5 copies of a colour-printed Calendar/Catalogue in which their artwork is featured (one per month). This prize has a value of $100.
- All 13 winners will have their work printed on the LANDSCAPE orientation A4-sized top half of an A3 page-opening, where the A4-sized bottom half shows a month of the year, in a 2014 catalogue/calendar and will have their work archived at http://www.volcanoartprize.com/previouswinners
- All finalists’ works will be accessioned into The LEAD Group Art Collection.
- The Peoples Choice Award will be a Cash Prize of $100.
- The Peoples Choice Winner’s image will appear on the cover of the 2014 Calendar/Catalogue for the 2013 Volcano Art Prize and be archived at http://www.volcanoartprize.com/previouswinners
CALENDAR AVAILABLE FOR PRINT-ON-DEMAND PURCHASE ONLINE: from Monday 8th October 2012 at http://www.volcanoartprize.com/purchasecalendar
OFFICIAL LAUNCH: Monday 21st October 2013 or a date around that time to be decided by whichever Minister hosts the event.
The Parliamentary Secretary (to the Minister for Health NSW) Melinda Pavey awarded the 13 winners of the Volcano Art Prize (VAP) and launched the 2013 Lead-Safe World Calendar, during Lead Poisoning Awareness Week 2012 – in the Jubilee Room of Parliament House, Macquarie Street Sydney.
ONLINE VOTING FOR THE PEOPLES CHOICE AWARD DATES: to Saturday 30th November 2013 web-users can vote (once for each entry they “Like”) at www.volcanoartprize.com/peopleschoice
PEOPLES CHOICE AWARD ANNOUNCED: Before Christmas each year.
CLOSING DATE FOR UPLOADING ENTRIES FOR VAP 2013 – Monday 2nd September 2013.
LEAD-SAFE WORLD CALENDAR 2014 LAUNCHED: during Lead Poisoning Awareness Week 2013, which runs from Sunday 20th October 2013 to Saturday 26th October 2013. This Calendar/Catalogue will have the 2012 Volcano Art Prize People’s Choice Winner on the Cover.